Shopkick blows past 15M users

Shopping app shopkick now has more than 15 million users globally, and has doubled its user base in just one year.

Shopkick's heaviest users spent more than two hours on the app during July, according to data from Nielsen's Electronic Mobile Measurement Panel. This made shopkick the top app in the commerce and shopping category in terms of time spent per person, exceeding time spent on other similar apps, which together averaged 36 minutes of engagement per user that month.

"If you stacked all of the gift cards that users have received from shopkick, the pile would be 18 Empire State Buildings, or over four miles, high. That's 15 billion Kicks, or $60 million, that we've rewarded to shopkick users just for shopping how they want to shop," Cyriac Roeding, co-founder and CEO of shopkick, said.

Shopkick partners with retailers and brands including American Eagle Outfitters, Best Buy, JCPenney and Macy's to send offers to mobile devices and reward app interaction through incentives such as gift cards.

The app is producing measurable increases in engagement and sales. According to the company, independent third party studies showed that 52 percent of all sales driven by shopkick have been purely incremental and would not have occurred without shopkick.

Of this incremental spend, 74 percent came from shoppers that had not made purchases with that brand in the prior year. The remaining 26 percent come from increased loyalty of stores' existing customers. These shoppers spent 26 percent more per person and more often at shopkick partner stores, compared to exactly matched customer control groups that did not use shopkick.

In total, shopkick generated a cumulative $1 billion in assisted revenue for its retail and brand partners from 2010 to 2014. In 2015, shopkick expects to drive an additional $800 million to $1 billion in sales.

Shopkick is also growing its beacon network, with more than 20,000 beacons installed at roughly 14,000 retail stores. In fact, Target announced a test of the technology in 50 stores last month. The app has driven more than 90 million store visits and 140 million direct product engagements from users scanning its products from store aisles, according to a company statement. 

For more:
-See this shopkick press release

Related stories:
Which native apps are most popular with millennials
Beacons reach 1 in 3 millennial moms
75% of retailers to ID shoppers at the door
Facebook is giving away free beacons
Mobile shopping growth slow as in-store refuses to go away

Suggested Articles

Costco changes up its menu items, and Alibaba and Guess partner for a physical store.

Janey Whiteside, Walmart's new chief customer officer, is well acquainted with the importance of customer service in modern retail.

Whole Foods will offer deals on Amazon's Prime Day, and tariffs against China are causing pricing hikes.