In El Paso, Texas, Sam's Club gas stations launched a mobile payment program. The consumer was supposed to pull up to the pump, text some numbers on a sign and be told of instant discounts and related deals. It was all detailed on a Sam's Club sign by the pump.
Customer Raelene Perea said she was about to give the program a shot when a gas station attendant approached her.
"So I took out my cell phone. I though I would find out what this is all about," Perea told KFOX-TV. When she started to text, an attendant stopped her, saying that using a cell phone while pumping gasoline may cause a fire.
The station reported: "More than 24 hours after Perea's incident at the warehouse club's station, the signs were taken down" in several nearby locations.
The risk of sparking a fire at a gas station by making a cellphone call seems quite low and industry representatives also play down the risks. But one wonders how this came about. It's unlikely the employee did this on his/her own. Did someone at corporate approve the mobile program and someone else decided it was too risky?