Legal Sea Foods pushes for stronger carbon monoxide regulations after fatal leak

A carbon monoxide leak at a Legal Sea Foods restaurant in Huntington Station, N.Y. led to the death of a manager and the sickening of 27 others who were in the restaurant on Saturday, Feb. 22. The leak was traced back to a faulty water heater in the basement.

The restaurant did not have a carbon monoxide detector. New York State fire codes require them only in establishments where people sleep.

In the wake of the tragedy, Roger Berkowitz, president and CEO of Legal Sea Foods, called for stronger carbon monoxide regulations and promised to take immediate action for this cause.

"The terrible tragedy highlights the inadequacy of the codes for carbon monoxide detectors in commercial spaces. Stronger safety measures must be put in place, and I pledge to be at the forefront of this effort," Berkowitz said in a statement. Story

Suggested Articles

Costco changes up its menu items, and Alibaba and Guess partner for a physical store.

Janey Whiteside, Walmart's new chief customer officer, is well acquainted with the importance of customer service in modern retail.

Whole Foods will offer deals on Amazon's Prime Day, and tariffs against China are causing pricing hikes.